Saturday, March 19, 2011

Young Appaloosa

Oil Painting Horse Art Farm Animal Portrait

Oil on canvas hardboard, 8" x 10"

I went back to painting a horse again in this one - an Appaloosa colt backlit by an evening sunset (or sunrise!).  The low-key values on most of the body of the colt contrasts with the brightly lit areas of the edge of his chest and upper back legs.  I wanted to portray a serene mood in this piece and I also admired his spotted coat.  A little bit of information about this breed of horse:  the Appaloosa is known for its colorful leopard-spotted coat pattern.  It is best known as a stock horse used in a number of western riding disciplines.              Horses are always a joy to paint!

If you'd like to commission a painting please contact me.
Visit my gallery -- Sold.

Thanks for stopping by!
Please Visit my gallery to see all of my paintings

No comments: